74. Type I and II construction are those types of construction in which the building elements are of _________________________ materials.
B. water resistant
D. mineral based
75. A continuous membrane, either vertical or horizontal, such as a wall, floor, or ceiling assembly that is designed and constructed to restrict the movement of smoke.
A. fire stop
B. fire block
C. smoke block
D. smoke barrier
76. Inspectors making a routine inspection should have records available to them that indicate what occupancy classifications have been assigned in the past. This information can be found _______________________________.
A. on the building plans and permits
B. on previous inspection reports or occupancy certificates
C. on the safety plan posted in the building
D. in the owner/manager kept safety records
77. In motor fuel-dispensing facilities, delivery of flammable liquids to tanks more than ___________________in capacity shall be made by means of approved liquid-tight and vapor-tight connections between the delivery hose and tank fill pipe.
A. 50 gallons
B. 100 gallons
C. 500 gallons
D. 1,000 gallons
78. Clay flue chimney liners must be carried up vertically, with a maximum slope no greater than ___________ from the vertical.
A. 10 degrees
B. 20 degrees
C. 30 degrees
D. 45 degrees
79. In theaters, motion picture theaters, auditoriums and similar assembly occupancies in Group A used for noncontinuous programs, _____________________ must be made not more than 10 minutes prior to the start of each program to notify the occupants of the location of the exits to be used in the event of a fire or other emergency. Exception ignored.
A. a notification
B. a written announcement
C. an audible announcement
D. any of the above
80. In regards to rooftop gardens and landscaped roofs, excess biomass, such as overgrown vegetation, leaves and other dead and decaying material, must be removed at regular intervals not less than ___________ time(s) per year.
81. _________________ construction is that type of construction in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials and the interior building elements are of any material permitted by the code.
A. Type I
B. Type II
C. Type III
D. Type IV
82. Crawl spaces are required to be provided with a minimum of one access opening not less than _________________________.
A. 22 inches by 24 inches
B. 22 inches by 30 inches
C. 18 inches by 24 inches
D. 18 inches by 30 inches
83. Group I-3 occupancies must be provided with 24-hour staffing. Staff must be within ______________________ horizontal distance of the access door of each resident housing area, in case emergency evacuation needs to be exercised. Exception ignored.
A. one floor or 100 feet
B. two floors or 200 feet
C. three floors or 300 feet
D. four floors or 400 feet
84. Revolving doors shall not be given credit for more than ________ of the required egress capacity.
A. 30 percent
B. 40 percent
C. 50 percent
D. 60 percent
85. Liquids having a closed cup flash point at or above 140°F (60°C) and below 200°F (93°C).
A. Class II.
B. Class IIIA.
C. Class IIIB.
D. none of these
86. _______________________________ for all hazardous materials mustl be either readily available on the premises as a paper copy, or where approved, shall be permitted to be readily retrievable by electronic access.
A. Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS)
B. Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP)
C. Fire Safety and Evacuation Plan
D. Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
87. Airport traffic control towers, Animal hospitals, kennels and pounds Banks Barber and beauty shops Car washes are examples of what Group of Occupancy:
88. What is the minimum normal weight concrete cover in inches that will provide a Fire-Resistance Rating of 3 hours for a W14 x 43 structural shape steel column?
A. 1 inch
B. 2 inches
C. 2.5 inches
D. 3 inches
E. none of these
89. Referring to helistops and heliports, the touchdown area must be surrounded on all sides by a maintained clear area having minimum average width at roof level of _________________ and not less than 5 feet at any point
A. 20 feet
B. 25 feet
C. 10 feet
D. 15 feet
90. To ensure operational readiness and proper performance, fire detection and alarm signaling systems must be tested when they are installed and again on a continuing basis. Tests conducted when systems are installed are commonly called _____________________________.
A. false alarm tests
B. service testing
C. continuity testing
D. acceptance tests
91. Areas of refuge must be provided with ______________________________________ complying with the code.
A. a clear hallway 66 inch minimum in width
B. a two-way communication system
C. a emergency first aid station
D. a fire extinguishing tools cabinet
92. Spaces underneath grandstand and bleacher seats must be kept free from combustible and flammable materials, except where enclosed in not less than ___________________ fire-resistance-rated construction in accordance with the International Building Code.
93. In other than Group I-3, curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and similar combustible decorative materials suspended from walls or ceilings may not exceed ___________ of the specific wall or ceiling area to which such materials are attached.
A. 25 percent
B. 20 percent
C. 5 percent
D. 10 percent
94. Laundry carts with an individual capacity of 1 cubic yard [200 gallons] or more, used in laundries within Group B, F-1, I and R-1 occupancies must be constructed of noncombustible materials or materials having a peak rate of heat release not exceeding __________ at a flux of 50 kW/m2 when tested in a horizontal orientation in accordance with ASTM E 1354.
C. 400 kW/m2
D. 300 kW/m2
95. An exterior air outlet is permitted to be located in the back or sides of the firebox chamber or within ________ of the firebox opening on or near the floor. The outlet shall be closable and designed to prevent burning material from dropping into concealed combustible spaces.
A. 24 inches
B. 36 inches
C. 48 inches
D. 60 inches
96. The following information is included in the required ___________________ for each covered and open mall building: 1. Each occupancy, including identification of tenant. 2. Exits from each tenant space. 3. Fire protection features, including the following: 3.1. Fire department connections. 3.2. Fire command center. 3.3. Smoke management system controls. 3.4. Elevators, elevator machine rooms and controls. 3.5. Hose valve outlets. 3.6. Sprinkler and standpipe control valves. 3.7. Automatic fire-extinguishing system areas. 3.8. Automatic fire detector zones. 3.9. Fire barriers.
A. Emergency coop plan
B. corridor map plan
C. lease plan
D. comprehensive plan
97. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, exterior walls with a horizontal fire separation distance greater than _____________, the joint system is required to be tested for interior fire exposure only.
A. 20 feet
B. 15 feet
C. 10 feet
D. 5 feet
98. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, where protection of the vertical opening by approved shutters at every penetrated floor is permitted in accordance with this the code. The shutters must be of noncombustible construction and have a fire-resistance rating of not less than ____________.
A. .5 hours
B. 1 hour
C. 1.5 hours
D. 2 hours
99. Exterior landings outside of egress doors are permitted to have a slope which does not exceed ____________________________. Exceptions ignored.
A. 0.125 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal
B. 0.5 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal
C. 0.25 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal
D. 1 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal
100. ______________________________ are be required for combustible dust-producing operations.
B. Explosion proof motors
C. Metallic dust control devices
D. Static electrical grounding terminals
E. all of the above
101. Open-flame warning devices may not be used along an excavation, road, or any place _________________________.
A. where it cannot be seen from 500 feet away
B. where it is subject to tampering by the public
C. where the dislodgment of such device might permit the device to roll, fall or slide on to any area or land containing combustible material.
D. where it will be subject to being distinguished by the elements or whether
102. When a fire alarm system is installed, the system needs to be tested. When the fire inspector test the system he uses a list is commonly called:
A. Fire Alarm Installation Test Checklist
B. Fire Alarm Acceptance Test Checklist
C. Fire Alarm Checklist
D. Commercial Fire Alarm Test List
103. The construction documents filed when applying for a permit must include ______________________________ that provides supporting documentation that any proposed penetration and opening in the exterior wall envelope by equipment described in the construction documents maintain the weather resistance of the exterior wall envelope.
A. engineering calculations and approval stamps
B. manufacturer’s installation instructions
C. all UL listed systems used in the building
D. detail drawing done by a licensed design professional
104. The IFC requires that in group I-1 occupancies employees be periodically instructed and kept informed of their duties and responsibilities under the evacuation plans. Such instruction is to be reviewed by the employees at least ____________. A copy of the plan must be readily available at all times within the facility.
A. every month
B. every 2 months
105. An operating asphalt kettle must be attended by a minimum of one employee knowledgeable of the operations and hazards. The employee must be within ______________ of the kettle and have the kettle within sight. Ladders or similar obstacles may not form a part of the route between the attendant and the kettle.
A. 200 feet
B. 150 feet
C. 50 feet
D. 100 feet
106. In a zoned alarm system an annunciator panel may be located some distance from the FACP, often in a location designated by the _____________.
A. building manager
B. fire department
C. building owner
D. none of these
107. The location for open burning may not be less than ______________ from any structure, and provisions must be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within ______________ of any structure. Exceptions ignored.
A. 10 feet, 10 feet
B. 25 feet, 25 feet
C. 50 feet, 50 feet
D. 100 fee, 100 feet
108. Private garages and carports that are classified as Group U occupancies may not exceed ___________ in area.
A. 500 square feet
B. 750 square feet
C. 1000 square feet
D. 1500 square feet
109. Every room or space that is an assembly occupancy, must have the occupant load of the room or space posted in a ______________________, near the main exit or exit access doorway from the room or space.
A. illuminated sign holder
B. exit sign enclosure
C. orderly manner
D. conspicuous place
110. Curved stairways with winder treads must have treads and risers in accordance with the code and the smallest radius may not be less than ________ the required width of the stairway.
A. 1.5 times
B. 2 times
C. 3 times
D. 4 times
111. The periodic inspections and tests of water spray fixed systems are similar to those performed on automatic sprinkler systems. The periodic inspections of water spray systems include all systems components including the valves, detection devices, piping, nozzles, strainers, and water supply. During periodic building inspections, inspectors should _________________________________________ to ensure that the frequency of inspections, tests, and maintenance meets the minimum requirements found in NFPA® 25.
A. file periodic requests for inspection
B. check with the owner
C. ignore previous records and establish there own schedule
D. review owner/occupant inspection reports
112. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, smoke partitions are required to extend from the top of the foundation or floor below to the underside of the floor or roof sheathing, deck or slab above or to the underside of the ceiling above where the ceiling membrane is constructed to limit the _________________ of smoke.
113. Covered mall buildings exceeding 50,000 square feet must be provided with standby power systems that are capable of operating the emergency __________________________________________.
A. interior lighting systems
B. automatic sprinkler system
C. loss control egress exits
D. voice/alarm communication system
114. Which of the following activities require an operational permit in covered and open mall buildings?
A. The placement of retail fixtures and displays, concession equipment, displays of highly combustible goods and similar items in the mall.
B. The display of liquid-fired or gas-fired equipment in the mall.
C. The use of open-flame or flame-producing equipment in the mall.
D. All of these
115. Vehicle impact protection guard posts if required are to be constructed of steel not less than ________________ in diameter and concrete filled.
A. 6 inches
B. 5 inches
C. 4 inches
D. 3 inches